How to Cook Ham Joint in Air Fryer
Cooking a ham joint in an air fryer is a great way to achieve a succulent and flavorful dish without the need for excessive oil or fats. If you’re looking for a simple and convenient way to prepare a delicious ham joint, then look no further. In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of cooking a ham joint in an air fryer, ensuring that you can enjoy a tender and juicy ham every time.
What You’ll Need
Before you start cooking, make sure you have the following ingredients and tools:
– A ham joint (size and type of your choice)
– Olive oil or cooking spray
– Seasonings (such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, or any other desired herbs or spices)
– A meat thermometer
– Aluminum foil
– Tongs or a spatula
– Air fryer
Now, let’s dive into how to cook the perfect ham joint in an air fryer:
1. Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C). This ensures that the air fryer is hot and ready to cook your ham joint evenly.
2. Prepare your ham joint by removing any packaging, strings, or excessive fat. Pat it dry with paper towels to ensure better browning.
3. Rub a small amount of olive oil or use cooking spray to lightly coat the outside of the ham joint. This will help enhance the flavor and crispiness.
4. Season your ham joint with your desired seasonings. Classic choices include salt, pepper, and garlic powder, but feel free to experiment with other herbs and spices that you enjoy.
5. Place the seasoned ham joint in the air fryer basket. If your air fryer is small, you may need to cut the ham joint into smaller pieces for it to fit properly.
6. Cook the ham joint in the air fryer for approximately 20 minutes per pound (450 grams). It’s important to use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches 145°F (63°C) for ideal doneness. Remember to flip the joint halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning.
7. Once the ham joint is cooked, remove it from the air fryer using tongs or a spatula. Place it on a cutting board and cover it with aluminum foil. Allow the ham joint to rest for about 10-15 minutes. This resting period helps the juices redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in a more moist and tender final product.
8. After the resting period, remove the foil and carve the ham joint into thick slices. Serve the juicy and flavorful ham joint with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few additional tips and tricks to enhance your air fryer ham joint:
– Experiment with different seasonings and herbs to cater to your personal taste preferences. You can explore flavors such as maple, brown sugar, or even a hint of mustard for a unique twist.
– If you prefer a crispy crust, you can brush your ham joint with a glaze or sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking. This will add a delicious caramelized coating to the finished dish.
– If your ham joint is too large for your air fryer, consider cutting it into smaller pieces or cooking it in batches. This will ensure that the ham cooks evenly and thoroughly.
– Leftover ham can be stored in the refrigerator, covered tightly with plastic wrap or placed in an airtight container. It can be used for sandwiches, salads, and various other recipes in the following days.
Cooking a ham joint in an air fryer is a practical and simple way to achieve great results. With the right seasoning and proper cooking time, you’ll end up with a tender and juicy ham joint that will impress your family and friends. Remember to follow these easy steps, and you’ll be well on your way to serving a delicious and hassle-free ham joint from your air fryer. Enjoy!